Only a month after our Early Access launch, we are proud to announce that we have a brand new game mode available in World of Myths – Tournaments. It is one of the more complex game modes and is still a challenge for some other games on the market, so we decided to give you more insight on how it works, rules and settings.
How To Participate
Anyone can participate in a tournament – There is no Mythology Reputation of Leader Level requirement. You just need to go to the Tournament Mode on the Play screen and click the “Join” button.
You can then choose a tournament based on its configuration (check for more details below) and join that tournament. Once you become part of a tournament – you will start receiving all kinds of notifications for this tournament – when the tournament starts, when a tournament game finishes and who won it, when a new round starts, when the tournament is completed, etc.
After the tournament starts and for every new round you have 5 mins to hit the play button and face your next opponent. The timer above kindly reminds you of how much time you have left to choose the right skin to play with, or how much time you have to smoke… or meditate.
At any time during the tournament, you can check out the current standings and see how you are performing. All players that have been eliminated will be marked in red.
Swiss and Cut
One of the most famous tournament formats is Swiss + Cut. We are also using it in the tournaments that we organize. Swiss is a format where the players have minimum guaranteed games to play, depending on the number of participants (5 games/rounds for 32 participants for example) and each win grants 5 points. The pairings are created based on the total players’ points, their SoS (strength of schedule), Extended Strenght of Schedule (ESoS). Those coefficients are dynamic and change based on the opponents you face. In the case of an odd number of participants, one of the players will get a “bye” which means an automatic win and 5 more points. You can’t be matched to play versus a player who has left the tournament.
After all rounds of Swiss are completed the tournament proceeds to direct eliminations (Cut) where only the top players (with most points and best SoS, ESoS ; top 8 players for 32 participants for example) continue the fight until a champion of the tournament is determined.
Swiss Mode is the default setting for any newly created tournament in World of Myths.
Things to Have in Mind
- When browsing through tournaments or looking at the current list of participants of your tournament you will see an icon before the player username, indicating his ranking in Ranked Mode. This is a snapshot of this player’s ranking at the time he joins the tournament and will not be updated before the tournament starts.
- You can play other game modes before the tournament starts, but once the tournament kicks off – all other game modes will be locked.
- If you fail to join your matchups twice (being late for the 5 mins deadline) you will be disqualified from the tournament.
- Many tournaments have an entry fee in the shape of Gold or Diamonds. Once you join such a tournament the only way to get back your entry fee is if the tournament is disbanded. If you leave the tournament even if it has not started – you don’t get a refund.
- A tournament can be disbanded in only 2 scenarios:
- The tournament organizer leaves the tournament before it has started.
- There are not enough minimum required participants to start that tournament when the start time is reached.
- A tournament can be snoozed (delayed) by 5 mins, up to 3 times, delaying its start time and giving a chance for more players to join.
- You can modify and change decks and Leaders between games.
- You can Leave the tournament at any time after it starts. If the tournament has completed when you click the leave button– you will receive rewards based on the tournament configuration and your final placement.
Creating a Tournament
Creating a Tournament is a fast and easy process. The only requirement to create a tournament is for that player to have any Mythology’s Reputation at level 10.
When you create a tournament you are prompted to select a tournament configuration.
The following settings are available with their options:
- Password – perfect for private tournaments 🙂
- 2 (perfect to challenge a friend)
- Entry Fee – the tournament rewards are determined by the number of participants and the entry fee
- Free (available for all Participants Mode)
- 300 Gold or 100 Diamonds – (available for all Participants Mode)
- 900 Gold or 250 Diamonds – (unavailable for 128 Participants Mode)
- 3000 Gold or 850 Diamonds – (available only for 8 or 16 Participants Mode)
- Finals Mode (number of games that will be played in the Final Game)
- Best of Three
- Direct Eliminations
- Start Time – the start time cannot be later than 3 hours from the current time.
- “I will cover all participants’ entry fees” checkbox – This is perfect for generous organizers who want to give out rewards to the community. The entry fee for all participants will be free but the tournament will have its standard rewards.
- “I want to spectate only” checkbox – This is for organizers that want to host a tournament but don’t want to be part of it. They will still receive all notifications once the tournament is started.
Once the tournament is created the organizer will wait for players to join. Once the start time is reached the organizer will be able to press the Start button if there are enough players. If there are not enough players when the start time is reached the organizer can Snooze (delay) the start time by 5 mins.
If the organizer leaves the tournament before its start – the tournament is disbanded and all entry fees are refunded to all players (if any).
If the tournament is free there will be no requirement for a minimum number of players to join and the tournament can start with any number of players. This is not possible if the tournament has an entry fee.
The organizer will not be able to Start the tournament before the start time, even if the tournament is full and all players are ready. The only exception for this rule is when the tournament is for 2 players only, allowing the organizer to play with a friend.
As mentioned earlier the work on the Tournament Mode is far from done. Here is just a brief list of additional settings and features we would love to add as soon as possible:
- Lock Deck(s) – Players will be able to participate with the decks they have selected before the start of the tournament and will not be able to make any changes.
- Custom Deck Rules – Create tournaments with custom restrictions on decks like spells/units only, common cards only, mix from all mythologies mode, draft mode etc.
- Conquest Mode for Best of 3 and Best of 5 – When a player wins a game, the deck used by the winning player cannot be used for the remainder of the match.
- Breaks before the Cut – Give the players some time to rest between the Swiss and the Cut.
- Spectate – Give a chance for the organizer of the Tournament to spectate games if he is not participating.
With the Tournament Mode already in the game, we will now focus on the next big feature which the community has voted to be Draft Mode. We will do our best to have it available in the game by the end of July.